The late Gothic St. Paul’s Church (Sint-Pauluskerk), begun in 1517 but not completed until 1639, is located in the center of the city, in the Veemarkt (the area that formerly served as a cattle market). Dated around 1680 is the Baroque clock tower.
The church suffered severe damage as a result of a fire in 1968, and only the determined efforts of the neighborhood residents saved the priceless interior decor.
Paintings by Rubens, Jordaens, and Van Dyck may be found inside the cathedral. These include three paintings by Rubens, The Scourging of Christ (1617) in the left aisle, and Adoration of the Shepherds and Disputation on the Blessed Sacrament in the left transept, as well as the outstanding Baroque confessionals by Pieter Verbruggen the Elder.